Friday, April 2, 2010

Who would'a thunk

As my latest sojourn in Ethiopia reaches the last 2 weeks, I cannot help thinking back to the experiences I have had over the past 8 and a bit months. I think when the dust finally settles from this extravaganza, I will be able to offer some advice to persons who may end up asking for guidance as they prepare for work on the dark continent,

There is no doubt from the ferenge I have met that people either seem to be here for extended periods of time (as in 2-3 years at a time) or short 3-6 week stays. My "sentence" here is somewhat out of the ordinary. I have met ferenge here from the USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia, Italy, Israel, Albania, Greece, Germany, France, Belgium, and Sweden. I have met people from countries whose residents do not, according to habesha, fall into the ferenge category ... Japan, China, Cote d'Ivoire, Mauritius, Chad, Mali, South Africa, India, Tanzania, Pakistan, Lesotho, Nigeria, Yemen, and Sudan. I am sure I have missed a few.

There sure has been an interesting cross-section of foreigners. I am beginning to formulate the one single piece of advice that I would give westerners toying with the idea of working in the third world. I don't think that tidbit of advice will change between now and my return to Canada, so here goes ...

"Make sure your expectations of the way things are going to work in the third world are realistic."

The systems, all the way from infrastructure (i.e., the support systems for cities) to how they work with government agencies (e.g., procedures one must follow to do something as seemingly mundane as pay a water bill), are like nothing you have or will ever experience in the west. You cannot imagine how immature these countries are from an organizational stand-point and how rigid they can be and unwilling to progress. For example ...

In Ottawa, the restaurant may be out of soap in the washroom --> in the third world the washroom has no running water and when it does, it's a trickle.

In Ottawa, on very rare occasions, some of the sewer systems get overwhelmed with heavy rain --> in the third world, puddles a foot deep form since there are no sewers. A wave of water 12-18 inches high wafting down a main thoroughfare are common after torrential rain they get.

In Ottawa, the ATM is out of service for 5-10 minutes here and there, almost always working --> in the third world, the bank machine has not worked for 3 weeks and anyone who you ask at the financial institution does not have a clue when it will be fixed, if ever.

In Ottawa, you call the front desk at the hotel to get an extra sheet delivered and it usually takes 15-20 minutes --> in the third world, you may politely ask 4 or 5 times and the sheet is still not delivered. Why? I have not figured that one out yet though I think it's a shortage of personnel on shift and their need to concentrate on more strategic issues at the hotel than my top sheet.

These 4 predicaments/facts are a good sample of why one needs reasonable expectations when working/travelling in the third world. Dr. Paul's advice when I was planning arrival in Addis Abeba in August was "bring some hiking boots". That was the best advice I received and many times have considered myself lucky to not be face down in a mud puddle after finding myself with inadequate footwear to contend with the deep puddles and seas of mud formed by the latest downpour.

No comments: