Monday, March 8, 2010

All's quiet on the Addis front

Had a relaxing Sunday doing just about nothing. I polished off another Michael Pollan book outlining rules to follow when deciding what to eat. They were all classic but the 3 best were:

3- If a breakfast cereal changes the colour of your milk, do not eat it.
2- Try to eat plants, not stuff that was made in a plant.
1- If an 8-year old cannot pronounce an ingredient in a product, do not eat it.

His motto is "Eat food; not too much; mostly plants". I went to 2 hotels today looking at rooms. Speaking of rooms, Dr. Paul had to hire more help to keep his new mansion clean and tidy. More than half the rooms they are not even using, but they still need to clean clean clean. I will decide what hotel to go to when I hear back from Dawit at TDS tomorrow or Wednesday. Work was nuts today which is OK 'cause there are some lulls too from time-to-time.

I finished off the weekend watching football between Chelsea and Stoke City. The first half was close and then Chelsea took over in the second. I have started reading a book by Susan George ... yippee for me; my 3rd non-fiction since I arrived in Addis. It's called "How the Other Half Dies" and discusses why there is so much starvation and malnutrition in the 3rd world. She blames it primarily, from what I have read so far, on mainly 2 things (of which you are not going to like the first) ... (1) the USA and (2) the west's infatuation with cash crops. A cash crop is one that is sold for profit as opposed to a subsistence crop that is one that is used to feed people.

No comments: