Monday, March 1, 2010

We want Pergano

This restaurant next door called Blue Drops has been one of my prime hangouts the 6 months I have been in Addis. There are 4 women who work there who mean well, but their English is not much better than my Amharic. There was a server there named Pergano who was always able to help me be it with little changes I needed to a menu item or something done to the dish running the big screen TV. For example, they have a traditional dish there called chikenna tibs which is beef taken from a very tender part of the cow. When Pergano was working, I would ask him to use less beef and way more vegetables. He just left Blue Drops, his last shift being last night!!!!

So the first 2 times I am there post-Pergano, I ask for soya sauce for my rice, and get a dish of tomato sauce :). Tonight I try to negotiate more veggies in my tibs, and get a side of garlic vegetables which in itself is great, but not what I asked for. Either I have to learn more Amharic or find some way to make myself understood by the ladies at Blue Drops. By the way, if you google "chikenna tibs" you will get 2 hits ... my BLOG and Blue Drops :). According to the owner, Pergano has moved to South Africa where I hope he can enjoy the 200 birr tip I gave him yesterday ..

No comments: