Saturday, March 27, 2010

And on the sabbath he rested

Woke up inconveniently early for a Saturday. I could not get back to sleep so got out of bed about 6. Naturally the first thing I did was check the Sens score from last night, pleased to see they beat the Sabres again. One may remember it was them we had to go through in the conference final when we went to the cup final in 2007.

I am off to Blue Drops at 6 to watch Arsenal followed by ManU, sporting my new football shirt I got yesterday. So they are building a new addition to the TDS hotel, unfortunately for the residents of the east side of the existing building, thereby blocking what little view they had of the Addis countryside. As mentioned before, they use eucalyptus trunks for scaffolding here and the workers have been busily banging together more and more since 8AM this morning. They are now working on the 3rd floor level, not far from my window. I was told they work on scaffolding at any height in Ethiopia without a safety line. Now I am seeing it first hand ... no tethering to the scaffolding itself whatsoever!!! That could be a 30 or more foot drop which in most cases is fatal. You may or may not know that one of the things that proves fatal with a fall so far is that as you hit the ground your vital organs get ripped from their natural location in your body as they keep going while you don't (so I have been told). I am sure you need to hear that.

There was a noticeable amount of chastising from Melaku about not taking him on the Entoto trip a few days ago. I promised he would be invited on any subsequent outings even if they start at a time in the afternoon well before when he usually leaves work.

No comments: