Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Leaps and bounds

After having spent the better part of the last two weeks on preparation of system documentation for IBEX2, I am reminded of the drudgery of working on the Oracle Press books we have authored. I am also continually reminded of the frustration of working with MS Word. It gets more and more feature-rich and more and more puzzling at the same time. I noticed a way back in 1994 when working on the original Tuning Oracle how crazy it was with bullets and number lists and that craziness has been refined since then with subsequent releases.

When meeting with the manager of the TDS hotel last night, I mentioned that someone I work with knows the owner. It's Dawit's Mother that is the owner -- Addis is just as small a world as Ottawa :). The EVDO card that I bought in early February is so much faster than the ZTE CDMA I had been using up until then. I have heard complaints from others here about deteriorating speed but have not experience this (yet??).

I made another contact sort of through the World Bank, a gentleman named Kumar who is on secondment from the Indian government to work on the procurement portfolio at MoFED. It is a warm and sunny 22 degrees in Addis today and let's hope it stays that way :).

No comments: