Saturday, March 13, 2010

Play by play

So the new experiences continue for ferenge even after close to 6 months full time in Ethiopia. Last night I went with a few others to see a theatre troop in a building near piassa. The son of a guy from Denver who works for Dr. Paul and was in Addis for a few months last year does the lighting for this outfit. We took a cab to the middle of Churchill on the hill by the roundabout that has a cannon in the middle. I think it points northwest at Rome just in case the Italians decide they need to occupy Ethiopia as they tried to do from 1934-8. So the play is in a partially built building that is still concrete with no finishing touches yet. It is the perfect setting for the play about street people in Ireland.

Loud music is blaring as we arrive. There are 2 people sitting at a table in the entrance way to the property where the play is happening, and they are trying to read from a list with no light whatsoever. They also try to make change with no idea of the denomination of each bill! So I lend the guy my flashlight and he is thankful. Inside I have a cold Ambo and munch on some dry french fries. The play starts just after 7:30 to the tune of Roxanne. The first half seems to last forever, then at the break we chow down on curry chicken with vegetables which is yummy. We then sneak out before the second half starts and five of us pile into a cab. That was quite an experience ... English theatre in Africa.

Back at the hotel, I check my email and see a note from a guy in Ottawa with whom I have been discussing a contract. I end up texting with him a few times after calling him the first time. About 11:30PM I have a call for a half hour or so with this guy's partner at Bell Canada. We shall see what transpires with this lead.

I crash about 1:30AM which is late for ferenge-a-me. I am up about 8 and go down for breakfast. This hot meal was the most disappointing yet as there was very little food left and it was cold. I go to Bilo's for a croissant then trek down to Bole 19. I speak with Melaku and we may see each other there. I dropped off some sneakers I am not using and ask the coffee lady to give to Hiruy. I stayed at Bole 19 for a while then off to Fantu and Novis for sardines and sandwich fixings.

At 11'ish I head off to Kazume's place and we end up driving to Tamoca, a very in and trendy coffee spot in piassa. We walk around a bit then head off to Alliance Francaise, look around for quite a while then have a nice chicken lunch. On April 1 she is going back to Japan for 3 weeks and wanted to know if I would babysit here house. We will talk more as the day approaches. What a treat it would be to have a house all to myself with a nice garden out front for the last 16 days I am in Addis!! I would keep the cook and housekeeper and chow down on home-cooked food every night. That would be sweet.

Back at TDS until the footballerama begins at 6 ... first Chelsea then Aresenal. The ManU game is minyana.

No comments: