Saturday, March 6, 2010

As are the customs

So I go to Kazume's house and the guard will not let me in without my calling her on my cell. She is actually waiting for a visit from people from customs and has found the experience very frustrating (sound familiar). She has a car she bought that came in from Djibouti and she is allowed to bring it in duty free since she is ferenge working in Ethiopia. The car is not licensed so it cannot be taken to the customs depot for inspection. There is an inconsistency between what the car says for a VIN and what is on file. There have been a few calls back and forth and it is all very hard on one's nerves and patience.

We have a very nice lunch as it turns out; we were going to go to Bole 19 so I could introduce her to Hiruy the tennis coach. Her housekeeper is working and has made some lunch. Talk about lunch!!!! Spinach with garlic tomatoes and eggs; chicken in a light curry/garlic soup-like sauce; lovely white rice; spring rolls; garlic mashed potatoes; cold spring water. It was a feast. Eventually we got the bright idea of getting her guard to call the customs people who were supposedly on their way over to ask if SHE had to be there. To our delight, the answer is "no". So we go to Bole 19 and Hiruy is at lunch. Eventually we run int none other than Melaku and have a nice visit with him. We part ways, and I go to Novis for lunch meat and cheese. I get a text in a few minutes after leaving Novis that the customs people showed up. The last thing one wants to do in this country is have to deal with customs. I hope other African countries are not as difficult.

I am getting served at the deli counter and a seemingly habesha lady needs some questions answered about cheddar cheese which they do not have. I tell here the closest thing Dr. Paul has ever found to cheddar is provolone. I give her advice on buying local rather than imported since the price is vastly different but the quality similar (in my opinion). I feel like a habesha :). She is from Tanzania and appreciates my assistance. I get milk then return to Deker. I checked next door with the owner at Blue Drops about what Barclays football may be on today; he does not know. I check on the DsTV Ethiopia web site and there is Arsenal at 5PM then ManU at 7:30. I always have trouble converting the time of these games. On the premier league web site the games I mentioned are at 3PM and 5:30PM and, if in London, would be at 6PM and 8:30PM so why does the DsTV Ethiopia site say 5PM and 7:30PM :).

No comments: