Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You know you've been in Addis too long when ...

One of the things you just get used to in Addis is power outages. At Dr. Paul's building at MoFED they are unfortunately close to a daily occurrence. When I was at Deker they happened here and there but not often. Ato Taye did have a generator but it usually did not go on until sundown if indeed the power was out.

So a bunch of us go for dinner tonight at Naklah, my absolutely favourite eating establishment in Addis. We then get a drive back to Kazumi's house and it is very dark as is the neighbourhood she lives in. We go into the house with flashlight on and poke around the living room for a bit. She ends up in her kitchen, disappointed but prepared for the outage that is in effect. She then notices a light on and realizes that indeed there is no power failure .. it's all in our heads. Imagine that! We invented a power failure and one of the group suggested we had just experienced a "logical power failure".

After work tomorrow I am going with some people to Entoto which is a hill/mountain at the north end of the city, not far from where I work. Amongst other things we hope to see there is the Ethiopian 9/11 memorial which was opened in 2004 and is a grove of 3,000 trees planted in memory of the people who died that fateful day.

Someone at work checked for me today in bringing a third bag with me back home in a few weeks. I do not know what the charge will be but it will be at least $250 USD. I can pay for it with any credit card as long as it's a VISA. With the 2 suits and extra sports jacket I have acquired in Addis, I will be too big for 2 suitcases. Also, on the way here in August 2009 my 2 carry-ons were my CPAP machine and a knapsack where I carried my computers and other paraphernalia. This time one of my carry-ons is my Stray copy meaning the crap in that knapsack must go in checked baggage which in itself throws me over the 2 bag maximum.

No comments: