Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wednesday night jazz

Got a ride from Melaku around 8:15. The Gaslight where the jazz was happening was empty with not even an F# note to be seen. We went to the Office bar first and it was hopping with music of a band we had seen there before from North Carolina and Georgia. We caught the last six or so songs from their set, and Melaku had a 57 birr tonic water; they are 12-15 birr at most establishments. I chatted up the guitar player at the break and was suitably impressed with his resume :). Off to Gaslight about 9:30 and the music was just starting.

The last time we had been there all the good tables were reserved and we sat nowhere. This time I called John D. the assistant manager of the Sheraton and he made arrangements for us to get a table. The music was nice, guitar/bass/drums/sax and a keyboard sat in towards the end. Melaku hung out at the Office with some buds and showed up just when the first set finished at the Gaslight. I heard someone refer to jazz in Addis as recycled old-style jazz from the west ... could have fooled me. I have found it along the line of what I have heard from the Dixie Dregs and Spyro Gyra from the states. The bass was especially raunchy and punchy. I am going to play sax in my next life I have decided.

I texted Brian Murray and he did follow my advice; the Sens lineup is the best it could possibly be now and there was no need to make any further trades before the deadline. Addis was a-buzz all day yesterday with hype over the 3PM deadline for trading in the NHL. I wanted to trade Prusek for a stronger goalie and was told to "get wth the program" ...

No comments: