Thursday, March 18, 2010

A bad sign

My home bank branch is at Arat Kilo. I was pleased when the account was opened there 'cause it has a bank machine. It is such a pleasure rather than going into the branch and taking a number. I have waited upwards of 30 minutes using this take-a-number route. So the Arat Kilo machine closes permanently and I am told to start using the one at piassa. That is such a pleasure (short-lived :)) as it is now out of service more than not. I have not been able to use it for 2 weeks now. I just go into the piassa branch which is never as crowded as Arat Kilo.

After dropping Dr. Paul et al at MoFED today, I go to piassa to use the machine. Alas! No service :). I enter the branch, and get served almost immediately with number 20 and just as I arrive at the wicket a habesha with #21 tries to push her way in front of me. What is with these people! I stand to the left of the wicket and conduct my business; I would not want to stand in front of the opening where I am conducting business as that may interfere with habesha who is so much more important than anyone else. I am surprised she does not have her own dedicated line :). While conducting my business another fool arrives looking for change thrusts a 50 birr note in the teller's face and is annoyed when not served immediately. I am also charged 5 birr as an inter-branch transaction fee, something new as this is the first time it is mentioned even though I have done withdrawals there before. I get to wait while a receipt the size of a newspaper is printed and probably threw the whole banking industry into turmoil 'cause I left without the silly receipt in hand ... welcome to Ethiopia.

After today, 21 more working days and 29 elapsed days until my return to Canada. The emails are arriving at a feverish pace for opportunities in Ottawa and Toronto. It is promising but as of now, I have nada signed which means I have nada :) Hopefully that will change shortly ... gone Sens, gone :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sending more good vibrations than brian wilson for Ottawa/Toronto opportunities!