Friday, February 19, 2010

It is but it isn't

I was informed Wednesday that a money transfer from MoFED to my TD Canada Trust account was completed. I decided to give it 2 days to check to ensure it was actually in my bank account. So today it is not there. Somehow the money, being the object of a completed transfer, is no longer in Ethiopia and has not arrived in Canada. I wonder where it is? Stuck in customs maybe?

I will go to the main branch downtown today with Bezeba to check it out. It's a sunny day in Addisl Fukuru (the driver) took the same foreign root to work today and I was still lost. Dr. Paul missed his flight at EWR and they are trying to sort that out to get him back sometime today.

I feel like one of the family at Blue Drops now even more. The TV was not working last night when I arrived so I plugged it in then got the receiver working just before the power failure. Two new Amharic words to add to my repertoire:

nage - tomorrow
boohalah - later

Now when parting ways with habesha I can sound even more (in)competent and they can say something else back to me I do not understand. Better incompetent than incontinent (an English word for being on terra firma :)). Another day another birr ...

No comments: