Saturday, February 20, 2010

Oy vay, trip #5

I would like to think of myself as a patient person, however speaking with a few people here, they may not agree. This run-around I have had at the airport trying to spring the Dell from customs has grated on my patience. So now it's Saturday, the first day after the major debacle I had yesterday which ended up with my leaving the airport without Dell. So I decided to go with Melaku today, and speak to Ato Yosef, the gentleman the agent insisted yesterday had all the authority to solve my dilemme (a likely story).

So I go to Bole 19 tennis about 9:30 this morning, realizing that we will not be going to the airport until at least noon. Most of the tennis I watched was entertaining. So we head off to the airport about noon. We pay the 3 birr each entrance fee, and proceed to the customs area ... surprise suprise Yosef is not there. He is on lunch and will not be back until 2PM. This time Melaku is allowed into the secure area with me, unlike last time we went together :). I resolve myself to having to wait, then Melaku begins the "bargaining" with the agents on duty.

I am in the dark since they are speaking Amharic, and periodically am updated about the high-level discussions. You would think we were trying to bring an AK-47 into the country. We appear to be making progress, then what seems to be the most senior guy appears. I am told that I need to write a letter, therafter attempting to discover what the letter should say. As it turns out it is OK for Melaku to write the letter, which I will sign. I mark down as well my cell number here, passport nukmber (and measurements of the doorway to my shower stall at home :)) and flight details of my arrival here February 3. It starts to look positive.

Hah! The senior guy insists that we have to go to the police station and get a signature and stamp on the back of the letter. More discussions in Amharic and some 20 minutes later ... we need to go back to the police station with guess what in our hands? They VERY EASILY have found a copy of the customs document that I am no longer in possession of!! This really should now be a fait accomplis. Hah (again)! They tell us to do the following:

1) get a copy of the customs document
2) go to police station and get signed/stamped
3) return to customs with all documenation in order and the release of the Dell will be turnkey (hah! #34,343)

I left my photocopier in my other pants so we are stuck as to how to get a copy of the customs document. The agent takes us to the bottom of a staircase outside customs and we give him 1 birr to go get a copy. Melaku gets the brilliant idea of asking the senior guy if, armed with the official police stamp, he can claim the goods or if I have to come back. Unfortunately, I do. Oh joy, the 5th trip to the airport is yet to come.

So we go to Bole City police station to get signed/stamped and, I think you know what's coming next. The office that does that sort of task is ONLY OPEN WEEKDAYS!!!!! Oh vay. This is what we then decided to do:

1) Melaku and I will meet at Bilo's Monday at 8:30
2) We will go to the airport and attempt to claim the Dell
3) If we get it we will take his picture with today's local paper (sort of like a ransom photo after a kidnapping)
4) If we do not get the computer, c'est la vie and it will get auctioned off in 30 days (hey maybe we can go to the auction and buy it since it was never picked up by its rightful owner)

We went for lunch and now I am back at the guest house. Welcome to Ethiopia ...

No comments: