Saturday, February 6, 2010

Same old, same old

I have been including minute details in many BLOG posts for the sake of readers who enjoy my antics in and around Addis. Even more so, since most of my adventures have been interesting and often comical, I want to be able to re-visit them any time in the future and re-live these experiences. That word "experience" is the first one that comes out of most mouths when discussing this opportunity I have had to spend time in Africa.

I headed off to the bank mid-morning yesterday to confirm that, as suspected, the bank balance that showed in my pass book was indeed incorrect. I thought I remembered having done a 2,000 birr withdrawl just before returning to Canada in December. I got to wait about 20 minutes until my number came up (with visions of chocolate bobka), then discovered I had a whopping 111 in the bank. So much for the modem I was going to purchase to be able to use my Mac on the internet.

I left work about 4:30 and came home to watch some of the Sopranos. I can't get enough of that series, and this is the third time I am watching all 28 DVDs. Melaku called about 8 and suggested we dine somewhere. I suggested the Greek Club and off we went about 8:30. We had a nice visit, and the mayor (I call him the mayor of Addis since he knows so many people here) dropped me back at Deker 10'ish. I played guitar and worked away madly on China Grove, a Doobie Brothers song from the 80's that always caught my interest.

I slept the best I have since my return from ST land on Wednesday. I was up about 8 and waited for Melaku to call. We ended up meeting at Bole 19 tennis club and visited and chatted it up with Hiruy. He and I had spoken Thursday and he mentioned that the Dell I sold him only lasts 10 minutes on a full battery charge, He plugged it in and we looked at it when full. It seemed to last a lot longer than he reported. There is no doubt the battery may be close to end of life but it is in far better shape than he reported. I left Bole 19 about 1 and went to get a haircut. I returned to the joint on Kazanches where I got my first trim and the same lady gave me the 10 birr treatment. I gave her 20 birr and returned to Deker. About 3 I headed out to MKs up the street to have a burger for a late lunch. It turned out to be a typical Addis adventure as we will see next ...

I ordered the cowboy burger with a Schweppes tonic water. There are other brands of tonic but I am a dedicated Schweppes fan. I find the other brands here taste like soap. After taking my order, the server returned a few minutes later and ensured that I actually wanted take-away, with no intention of eating there. I pointed to the table and said that I wanted to eat here. Lo and behold, about 10 minutes later, what was obviously my order appeared at the table in a take-away container. The food was then put on a plate and I changed tables to watch the Liverpool/Everton match on DsTV. I asked for some vinegar for the french fries a few times and the server eventually showed up with some sort of liquid that sort of looked like vinegar but I am still not sure what it was. I ordered another tonic which did not arrive so I ordered again (twice). Shortly thereafter, my server came over and offered to get me another tonic (wish I'd thought of that). I gave her thumbs up and it arrived poste haste. The bill was just over 95 birr so I gave her 110, expecting 15 in change. Over 15 minutes later the change had not arrived so I asked for it and left a nice tip and departed. In Canada if there had been such quirky service, I would have commented to myself "What a ridiculous establishment that was" but in Addis, I quipped to myself "Welcome to Ethiopia".

Melaku called mid-evening and we discussed going to see music early in the week, I am listening to Luther Wright and the Wrongs' country and western rendition of The Wall (Pink Floyd) and will retire soon. I got a call this evening from a woman I met at the guest house in December. She has since rented a house and is having people over for lunch tomorrow at 12:30. I changed my tennis to 9AM so I can attend. I will pick up some goodies at Bilo's before going over. I spoke to the Sweet Thing today and we gabbed and gabbed about life and the world problems. I am excited about a jam session planned for next Saturday. I am not sure how experienced the two habesha are I will be working out with so it should be fun ... I was thinking of trying to find somewhere to watch the StupourBowl tomorrow, then lost interest when I found it it started at 2:25AM in Ethiopia.

No comments: