Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shabbat shalom

I found out in amazement a few months ago that the most common way they sell milk here is in a 1/2 litre bag. The way so many things are done around here, I figured they must have looked into the most inconvenient way to package milk, and adopted that approach. I bought milk a few days ago and cut the corner as usual. I fold over the corner and clamp with a small office paper clip. So I go to the fridge today and lo and behold no milk (in the container that is) but lots of dry milk on the floor of the fridge. Why not buy a plastic container to hold the milk one wonders? They do not make a container (at least at the shops I have been at) that is small enough to fit in a fridge as small as those in the guest house :).

Melaku and I went to club Alize for music last night. I had dinner with him beforehand, feasting on none other than a T-bone steak. Wow! It was good and nicely not the size of what one gets in the west. The music starts at Alize at 9:30, except last night it did not get going until 10:30. We had a table and chairs this time which was nice from the last time, where we hung out at the bar. I recognized about half the music, and especially enjoyed a ditty from the 60's called Cherokee. I had seen this band there before. For a change, habesha decided to leave around midnight; it's usually me who gets tired.

We met Abraha from Addis Ababa university for lunch yesterday. I had not seen him for a long time. What with the IBEX2 system deliverables rolling in, Dr. Paul thought it wise to re-kindle that relationship.

I was up early but not at 6:30 as I am on weekdays. I went to Parisienne for a nice breakfast, finding out that the butter I requested for my waffle now costs extra. The server returned with the goods and proudly announced "no charge". I gave her the extra birr difference. I spoke with Nehemia and he is going to find the Atlas hotel and call me to be guided in to Deker. The rest of the weekend? Good question. My left foot is bothering me for some reason, close to the area that was problematic last fall. I sent email to Dr. Laz asking him for advice. It may be the same spot or just very close. Unlike last time, all I have done recently is walk and play tennis. There has been no "over on the side of the foot events". I have not heard "boo" from that foot since my cast came off in mid-November. I spoke to Sweet Thing this morning and she sounded great. Her and Rona hava a busy day planned.

It is a warm sunny day in Addis ... how warm (hey you're in Africa) .. about 25 degrees, no humidity. Some places, so I have heard, like for examle, Israel can start the day at 80 and climb well over 90 by mid-afternoon. I know one person (yes my lovely ST) who would love that were she ever to ge there.

No comments: