Friday, February 26, 2010

VPN stands for ...

(V)ery (P)roblematic (N)otion ... getting out of Ethiopia to someone's server outside the country. I have been discussing some work with a company in Toronto as some of you may have read earlier in the BLOG. I dropped $130 CAD on some software called SurfSolo that sets up a private tunnel to some servers in Europe using port 4426. This masks all internet activity from the ISP's and allows one to surf and email completely anonymously. Naturally their documentation does not say "works from everywhere except Ethiopia" :). This work in TO may blossom into something more as time progresses; hence the desire to get connected. I did manage (with the help of Dr. Network aka BJ Abbey) to get to my PC at home using RDP and split tunneling to Toronto. That situation is good for now, but RDP is very finicky.

My main PC at home is misbehaving and does not seem to want to work with other remote control software offerings out there either. Today is a Muslim holiday in Ethiopia and the government (for at least these 24 hours) is Muslim; they are closed. There is another holiday next Tuesday. This ferenge must go into the office if I want to get paid today. I am going to Yordanos for a 9:30 appointment with the doctor who will advise me when I can start playing tennis again but I think he will say a few more months. The bruising that I had on metatarsal 5 was so "severe" that the 5 weeks I waited from removal of the cast was probably not sufficient. Melaku has had the flu bug most of the week so I have been grounded (of sorts). It has been going around at Dulcian but I have so far been lucky.

No comments: