Saturday, February 13, 2010

A lovely Saturday afternoon

The jam session with habesha was very interesting. Nehemiah brought his Yamaha cutaway box guitar. What we call an acoustic they call a box. I gave him some new strings which the other guy Umnet who came with him put on the axe. The strings buzzed on the Yamaha even though sighting down the neck showed no noticeable warping. We played around a bit, the 2 habesha did some traditional stuff, and a number written by Umnet. The music they play uses 3/4 time a lot and many many minor chords. Their guitar playing was OK and I worked with Nehemiah on counting and chord changes. He is still learning how to bar, and for someone who has been playing 3 months he was great!

The day deteriorated into heavy rain. Kizume, a lady who lived in the guest house for a while, was over and she asked me to have a look at her lease on her house and a letter she is giving the landlord today about terminating early. She believes she is justified in doing this due to the house filling up with a few inches of water during a heavy downpour a few days ago. She is going to move back into a guest house (not Deker) ... remarkable how a mess in a rental house so far away from home can dampen someone's energy re:house rental so quickly.

When I arranged this jam last week, I did ask Nehemiah if he could bring a bass player. That's exactly what he did ... a bass "player", no bass guitar in tow :). I do have to remember from time to time that I have to be very explicit when I ask habesha something. That is not their fault, it's mine. It reminds me of one of my favourites ... we were at a Chinese restaurant and asked for peanuts with the sweet and sour chicken. They did just that ... a bowl of peanuts accompanied the dish. Next time we asked for peanuts IN the S&S chicken which was more to our liking.

No comments: